Je suis Charlie

Je suis Charlie

Wednesday 1 March 2017

Perfect Strangers - Rebecca Sinclair









Blurb:

In 16th century England, Gabrielle Carelton is one of Queen Elizabeth's most devoted ladies-in-waiting. Then that loyalty is put to the test when Her Majesty commands her to marry Scotsman Collin Douglas.
But when Gabrielle is kidnapped by Collin's twin brother, not even Good Queen Bess can save her.
Dubbed the Black Douglas, devilishly handsome Connor is known throughout the land for his magnificent feats of strength and cunning. But now he is in need of an heir. An English bride will bring peace to the warring nations-and give him the son he craves.
What the Black Douglas doesn't expect is an Englishwoman as passionate as she is proud... and in possession of a desire that knows no boundaries.
Set against the pageantry and savage splendor of 16th-century England and Scotland, here is the story of a man and a woman who begin as enemies and strangers-and find a love that will triumph against all odds.


 
I was really looking forward to this book and started right away .... and I can't even say that it wasn't good. The characters were very loveable and I really liked Gabrielle and Connor and they had some very very sweet (and very long) romantic scenes but - the story itself was somewhat flat.
Oh, sure all the ingredients for a good book were there but somehow I felt as if there should be a bit more then just Gabrielle getting kidnapped over and over again and when ...well, let's just say that I wouldn't have made myself THAT vulnerable again especially right THEN. 


I know, I know, that's a bit cryptic but I don't want to spoil the story for other readers, so cryptic it is.
A bit more intense, a bit more real action that feels like action and all bits and parts a bit more linked ( I still don't know why Marghereid reacted in that very peculiar way, for example) and the story a bit more ...flowing... I liked the book well enough but I won't read it again and I won't run off to read another one by the author. So I'm not convinced but nontheless it's weak three stars...


 ★★★



No comments:

Post a Comment

Wenn du auf meinem Blog kommentierst, werden die von dir eingegebenen Formulardaten (und unter Umständen auch weitere personenbezogene Daten, wie z. B. deine IP-Adresse) an Google-Server übermittelt. Mehr Infos dazu findest du in meiner Datenschutzerklärung (https://cupofteaandbook.blogspot.de/p/datenschutzerklarung.html) und in der Datenschutzerklärung von Google (https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=de).